sociologysocial forcessocial problemssociological perspectivessocial science journalethnic H u m a n i t i e s
In this assignment, you will use an article database (such as EBSCO, JSTOR, etc.) to select an article (published in 2010 or later) from a peer-reviewed sociological journal (such as the American Sociological Review). You will then respond to a series of questions to extract information from the article you choose.
The maximum length for this assignment is 3 pages, double spaced. You should have no problem filling three pages if you adequately complete each part of the assignment. At the same time, you should write your responses clearly and concisely, which is why there is a maximum page limit instead of a minimum. You will need to submit your responses to the questions through this page, as well as a PDF copy of your article on a separate page in this module.
Address each of the following questions specifically and in order. You will need to be familiar with the textbook chapters we have covered to complete this assignment successfully: https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/textbooks/princ…
- In your own words, describe the primary questions(s) presented in the article.
- Describe the primary theory or theories discussed in the literature review. How are
the authors of this article expanding upon this theory or theories?
- Does this article have a hypothesis (or multiple hypotheses)? If so, what it is? If not,
what do you think it would be?
- What research method do the authors use to address their research question?
- What is/are the independent variable(s)? Why does this make sense?
- What is/are the dependent variable(s)? Why does this make sense?
- In your own words, what are the primary findings made by the authors?
- What are three of the most challenging aspects of reading this article? Why?
Tips On Finding An Article:
The LAVC Library’s website has many helpful resources including a series of pages to help you search academic databases (Արտաքին կայքին հղումներ) and even specifically to find a peer-reviewed journal article (Արտաքին կայքին հղումներ). You can even chat with a librarian to help you search for an article!
I’ve created a quick video to help you navigate the Library website’s resources (Արտաքին կայքին հղումներ). To help narrow down your search for this assignment, I’ve also created a video on how to use an advanced search to find a peer-reviewed article on a topic (Արտաքին կայքին հղումներ). Here is the
that I found in the video.
There are many peer-reviewed journals, many of which have been in publication for decades, so you have a lot of content to choose from. Here are a few examples of the better known peer-reviewed sociological journals:
- American Sociological Review
- American Journal of Sociology
- Social Forces
- Social Problems
- Sociological Perspectives
- Social Science Journal
- Ethnic and Racial Studies
- Gender and Society