sister benedetta carlini use religious mysticism H u m a n i t i e s
Assignment: Judith Brown, Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy
For this longer essay, you will read a monograph, or academic book devoted to a specialized subject. Start by carefully reading the assigned text, Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy. In it, Judith Brown studies the life of Sister Benedetta Carlini, a controversial Catholic nun who lived in late Renaissance Italy. While reading, pay especially close attention to how Brown explores the complex relationship between religion and sexuality within the context of early modern European society. Once you have finished reading, draw on both the evidence presented in Immodest Acts and supplemental information found in Chapter 11 of your course textbook to answer the following questions in an essay of approximately 1500 words:
In what ways did Sister Benedetta Carlini use religious mysticism to achieve her own personal goals, and how did she negotiate the obstacles that the Catholic Counter-Reformation presented her?
Your paper must be at least 1200 words but no more than 1800 words.
You may only use the following approved sources in your paper (please note that any use of external internet sources is prohibited):
* Immodest Acts: The Life of a Lesbian Nun in Renaissance Italy, by Judith Brown
*The West in the World by Dennis Sherman and Joyce Salisbury
Important notes on this assignment:
*Please refer to the rubric located on Blackboard. Review it carefully as your paper will be graded using the rubric.
*Please note that you must use at least 5 examples/quotes from the assigned reading to support your argument.
*Your introduction should address the overarching themes of your answer to the question.
*Your thesis statement is extremely important and worth a significant portion of your overall paper grade.
Make sure you take a position and have an argument. Be decisive!
A Note on Plagiarism:
All papers will be run through SafeAssign, which checks for plagiarism. If you commit plagiarism, you will be caught. If you have questions, please contact me and refer to the Mercy College Academic Integrity Policy, located on the course Blackboard site.
- All papers should be double-spaced, 12 point Times New Roman, and have 1-inch margins.
- You must have a title page. Please see example in this packet or on Blackboard. The best idea is to download the sample title page and type directly in it to create your own title page.
- You must have a header that is on every page except the title page it should have the course number and your name. Example: HIST 101/Jane Doe.
- Indent every paragraph and remember a paragraph is at least 3 sentences long.
- You must cite your sources.