read three essays covering certain aspects H u m a n i t i e s
Read three essays covering certain aspects of the American Revolution. They are Gary Nash’s “The American Revolution in Red and Black,” Courtney Rubin’s “A Bow to the War’s Less Storied Heroes,” and Christopher J. Gearon’s “Primitive Medicine.” All of the essays are on a PDF file in the Canvas Home Page under “Writing Assignments.” After a close reading of each essay, answer the following five questions with as much clarity, insight and support as possible. Five (5) point questions should be answered within one-two solid paragraphs while ten (10) point questions should be answered within three-four paragraphs. Be sure your answers are typed and have clearly numbered responses.
To submit the assignment, you may send the assignment via a Word, Google Docs, or PDF to my email address: email@example.com. Or you may send the assignment via Canvas to the Assignment button for Writing Assignment #3 and I’ll grade it through SpeedGrader.
1. What would you say is the primary purpose of “The American Revolution in Red and Black?” What does Nash wish us to understand further about the American Revolution and the people involved? What kind of examples or support does he use for his essay’s goals? (10 points)
2. After reading “A Bow to the War’s Less Storied Heroes” by Courtney Rubin, do you believe the essay has a similar purpose to the Nash essay? Or does it take different approach in its selection of these revolutionary figures? Support and construct your view. A good start would be to examine the kind of revolutionary activities of the people performed in the Rubin essay vs. the Nash one. (10 points)
3. In “Primitive Medicine” by Christopher J. Gearon, explain why American colonial medicine was seen in a “sorry state.” What kind of fallacious and erroneous medical concepts guided doctors when treating patients? (5 points)
4. According to the Gearon essay, describe how soldiers were medically treated for wounds on the battlefield. What were fatal wounds and how were surgeries performed? (5 points)
5. Once again in the Gearon essay, describe how diseases caused by bacteria/microbes posed just as much of a threat to American soldiers than fighting the British in the American Revolution. How did American doctors and American and British military leadership respond? (5 points)