pigni text page 182 B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
After reading Chapter 6 Case: Outrigger Hotels and Resorts, (Wk6_Outrigger.pdf located in this week’s module), create your initial post on the DQ 6 Discussion Board in response to the following questions:
- What should be, in your opinion, the role of the IS function at Outrigger Hotels and Resorts? In answering this question, please refer to the Strategic Impact Grid in the Piccoli & Pigni text page 182-184 and identify which quadrant Outrigger Hotels and Resorts falls into. Explain why according to your analysis of the firm’s IT needs along the two dimensions in the grid. Organize your answers into three bullets:
- Which quadrant does the firm fall into? Answer in one sentence. Note that this answer should be consistent with your answers to the next two points, i.e., your analysis for the firm’s current and future need for IS will inform you the quadrant. (1 point)
- Analyze whether the firm’s current need for reliable IS is high or low. Explain why in 4-5 sentences. (3 points)
- Analyze the firm’s future need for new IS functionalities is high or low. Explain why in 4-5 sentences. (3 points)
2. Articulate the IS vision for the firm. In answering this question, please refer to the Information Systems Vision section in the Piccoli & Pigni text page 181 and use Sidebar 6.4 as an example, articulate the IS vision for Outrigger Hotels and Resorts in a similar format, i.e., the vision should starts with a paragraph that states the strategic role that IS function plays, followed by at least three bullets to show what IS function will do with information.
- State the strategic role that IS function plays in 2-3 sentences. (2 points)
- State at least three bullets to show what IS function will do with information. (3 points)
Note: When I grade question 2, I will not be concerned with what exactly you suggest the IS vision should be. Rather, my main focus is on consistency between the vision (question 2) and the position of the firm on the strategic grid (question 1).