money issues like taxes earned B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
1.Write three paragraphs:
- Explain how a utilitarian might decide this issue (calculating consequences). What are the pros and cons? Where would a utilitarian come down? (Consider the following: money issues like taxes earned or money saved from prosecuting low level crimes. Consider the money saved from incarceration, consider the number of lives not in jail and not wasting their time, consider who is going to profit from legalization, consider in general, numbers of lives effected positively, vs. number of lives effected negatively)
- Explain how a Kantian deontologist would decide this issue (think in terms of the Second Formulation—respecting the full humanity of another). Would legalizing or not legalizing marijuana be ignoring a duty we have to certain portions of the population? Who and how? (Do we have a duty to kids to not make another intoxicant more commercially available, do we have a duty to those in minority communities that have been adversely affected by criminalizing marijuana–where does that duty lie–to get people out of jail? To get more money into those communities? Do we have a duty to keep our communities safe from drug usage? Or, do we have a duty to those communities to stop using drug laws as basis for criminalizing people based on class and race? Consider this: the prohibition of alcohol was repealed in part because it was causing too much crime and loss of life–why aren’t we thinking the same way about marijuana? In other words, do we have a duty to the average citizen to make the world a safer place? And that brings us back to consequences–how do we measure, a better and safer place? In terms of consequences or duties?)
- Who do you agree with? How are you going to vote?
2. Regional Trading Arrangements
- Articles are to be selected from the business press. The article should be no more than 3 months old.
- Article selection must be made CAREFULLY – the topic of the article you select must tie with assigned weekly topic.(Regional Trading Arrangements)
- The article summary must be in your own words
- Please also provide an opinion of the article or discuss what makes it important or interesting.
- You must include a cited link in APA format to the article.