format “ article summaries ” W r i t i n g
- Journal Article Review & Presentation (20 points): This assignment has two components. Each student will need to find, read, and summarize an article published in an area of behavioral assessment or intervention. You will need to submit: (a) a copy of the published article, (b) a brief written summary of the article (see description of article summary requirements below), and (c) briefly summarize the article (5 minutes) in class. The format for the written article summary is below. Your written summary also will serve as a handout to be distributed to all class members during your presentation. The due date for the journal article summaries are specified in the schedule of class activities (below). Journal articles should be selected from behavioral journals such as (but not limited to): Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, Research in Developmental Disabilities, Behavior Modification, School Psychology Review, Behavioral Interventions, etc. Selected articles are limited to those with presented data; that is, review or discussion articles, without provided data are not applicable to this assignment.
- Written Article Summary: Format “Article Summaries” in the following manner.
- Purpose: Why was the study conducted? What were the authors trying to assess or treat? (3-4 sentence general description)
- Participants and setting: Very limited description (1-2 sentences)
- Design: what single-case design or inferential research design was used?
- Target behaviors of interest: How were these defined? Were they defined well enough in your opinion?
- Results & Discussion: What did the authors find (in their opinion and in your opinion—if you disagree with them or have alternative interpretations of the data that were not presented in the article)? How or why did the authors select the particular intervention or assessment approach used? If used, how were the reinforcers for intervention selected? If used, how were the punishers for intervention selected? Can you think of another way to possibly treat (or assess) the stated problem behavior in the study? What, if any, other related questions need to be addressed in this area? How was intervention effectiveness established/measured/demonstrated? What were the stated or perceived limitations of the study? What are the implications for your career work (if applicable)?
Article Summary Presentation: For presentations, explain the purpose of the study, what the findings (results) were and give your thoughts about the study’s assessment or intervention process. Use the above description for article summaries as a guide to what you might discuss in class; however, your presentation discussion should not be as extensive as your written article summary.