cover pageabstract “ literature review ” “ field W r i t i n g
Part II of the Research Term Paper
Part II of the Research Term Paper
- Field of Service
- Presenting Problems
- Barriers to Service for the Target Population
- Individual & Environmental/Societal Causes of problems
- Ethical Issues & Value Issues for Social Workers in this field
- Anticipated Income
- Personal Assessment
- References Page
- Annotated Bibliography
Topic Headings for the Field of Service
The Bibliography or “References” Section
- There will be one “References” section for both parts of the paper, located at the end of the paper, in APA format. A sample APA format “References” page is available with a sample APA format paper located in Canvas under “Files.”
The Annotated Bibliography
- What is an Annotated Bibliography?
- A bibliography is a list of reference materials that you have used for researching a topic. In APA format it is called “References.” Your bibliography should include at least one book and three scholarly articles.
- What is the purpose of an Annotated Bibliography?
- Provides preparation for the research term paper by familiarizing the writer with the current research, trends, and themes related to the topic. Exposes the writer to different resources to assist in analysis and critical thinking.
- Writing an Annotated Bibliography
- Write an Annotated Bibliography for each of the 4 references; this will include one book and three scholarly articles.
Each annotated reference should include these three parts:
- A Summary of the main arguments and points of the reference
- An Assessment and Evaluation of the reference – Is this a reliable, objective resource? Be sure to explain your point of view.
- A Reflection on how this resource will help you write your research paper (Example: How will it help you understand the field of service? Does the information help cover the topic headings on pages 4-5 of this document?)
An instructor sample of an Annotated Bibliography for this assignment is located in Canvas under “Assignment.”
Resources for Writing an Annotated Bibliography (Owl Purdue)
For the definition and purpose of an Annotated Bibliography, click on the link below. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/614/01/ (Links to an external site.)
For a general sample of an Annotated bibliography in APA format, click on this link: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/614/03/ (Links to an external site.)
Annotated Bibliographies will be graded based on the “Summary,” “Assessment and Evaluation” and “Reflection:” outlined above.
Guidelines for the Research Term Paper Assignment (See “Example Research Paper” located on Canvas within “Files”).
- The research term paper should be 10-11 pages in length and divided into several parts.
- Cover page
- “Literature Review”
- “Field of Service”
- References Page
- Annotated Bibliographies
- Content must be accurate and conclusions must be adequately supported by scholarly research. This is not an opinion paper.
- Grammar and syntax: Sentences should convey meaning clearly and should be grammatically correct with appropriate punctuation in place. Spelling should be correct.
Use APA Formatting (American Psychological Association)
- Please consult the APA Style Essentials for general document guidelines such as the title page, abstract, body of the paper, text citations and quotations, and references (located in Canvas under “Files”)
- A sample APA Format paper is available in Canvas under “Files.”
Goals of the Research Paper
- Provide various viewpoints by discussing what others have written or reported about the topic.
- Assess the strengths and limitations of the literature, identify and comment on the major themes found in the literature, and offer a critique of the work.
- You need to base your perspective on your research findings and critical analysis of the literature review.
Final Paper is the finished product that includes a college-level discussion of the topic with accompanying research and supporting evidence.
- All required topics in Parts I & II are covered accurately, with supporting research.
- There is an analysis of the literature that you reviewed.
- The paper is written in APA format, including citations and the “References” page.
- Grammar, organization, and writing are at the collegiate level.
- Please refer to the term paper guidelines in this document for all requirements.
A Helpful Resource for Writing the Scholarly Research Term Paper
The Writing Center at Cuyamaca College
Location: Communication and Arts Building – B167
- The Writing Center offers tutoring to assist you with organization, grammar, syntax, punctuation, proofreading, editing, and APA format. The staff will have a copy of the research term paper guidelines. They are very familiar with this assignment, and are skilled in helping students with research papers.
- Students who utilize the services of the Writing Center consistently tend to produce high-quality research papers.
- Be sure to make appointments with the Writing Center well in advance. This is especially true if you need multiple appointments. It is the job of the Writing Center to teach writing. As your instructor, I am available to help interpret the assignment.