controversial issue . part 2begin conducting research W r i t i n g
The field of education is vast and complex with many stakeholders involved, sometimes controversies arise. These controversial issues usually begin with a single or a series of historical events. There also are usually arguments on both sides of the issue, both supporting and opposing. Since these issues may cause strife and division, federal and state policymakers, state and local administration, teachers, students, parents, and community members attempt to offer solutions to these controversial issues.
Relating to these controversial issues are cultural identifiers which can be defined as characteristics or conditions that make each individual unique. Usually one or more cultural identifiers are at the root of the controversial issues. Understanding both the controversial issue and the related cultural identifier can help stakeholders find the best, most equitable, and most ethical solution for everyone involved.
Throughout this course, you will be working on a 1,000-1,250 word research essay on a controversial topic involving a cultural identifier and the implications of the controversial topic on K-12 education. Your first draft of the research paper will be due in Topic 4, and you will be required to submit it to the peer review forum on day 1 in Topic 5, and your final version will be submitted in Topic 7.
Identify a controversial topic related to diverse cultures and communities currently affecting K-12 education, such as body image, citizenship status, plastic/cosmetic surgery for teenagers, bathrooms for transgender students, ethnic curriculum/classes, religious clothing, prayer in schools, or other topics that involve at least one cultural identifier. In 500-750 words, begin brainstorming on your topic and address the following prompts:
- Describe the cultural identifier and why you chose it. Explain your connection to your choice of cultural identifier and the role of social justice in regard to your topic.
- Summarize the key historical events that have significantly affected your specific cultural identifier.
- Summarize the topic in context of K-12 education, including the related cultural identifier and any associated controversies.
- Identify current opinions for the controversial argument, including at least one supporting and one opposing.
- Describe how this controversial issue could affect your future teaching practices and how it could affect your future students.
- Summarize related policies or methods that have been implemented in schools as a solution to the controversial issue.
Begin conducting research to support your opinion on the controversial issue. Collect a minimum of three scholarly resources from the last three years to support your rough draft due in Topic 4. Submit a 50-150 word summary for each of the three articles, including how the articles apply to your chosen topic.
While APA style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using documentation guidelines