contrast new social media marketing trends H u m a n i t i e s
Compare and contrast new social media marketing trends with more traditional forms of advertising.
We have been looking at successful ad campaigns using social media. Let’s apply this directly and see how this compares with older methods of advertising.
Choose a recent social media campaign, possibly one you interacted with. Below are some possible examples:
- ALS #IceBucketChallenge
- Always #LikeAGirl
- Coca-Cola #ShareaCoke
- IKEA bookbook video
- McDonald’s Super Bowl 2015
- Taco Bell #OnlyInTheApp
- Virgin America Boo videos
Then consider an older commercial, before social media was (as big) an influence. You can look at famous ads on Youtube.
In a minimum of 3 pages, please do the following:
- Provide an introduction with a summary of the ads you have chosen, and an explanation of what the stated intent behind the ad is.
- From there, look at what the ad actually says (like a beer ad might actually be demonstrating that women are sex objects).
- Describe how social media plays into the intent and the actual message. What’s different between the two you chose?
- What made the ads successful (or not successful)?
- What ideas and opinions do you have about the product or brand after reviewing the ads?
- What can we learn about how businesses use Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, etc. to communicate, network, broaden their customer base, and promote their products/services?
- Summarize your analysis.
|Not Submitted||No Pass||Competence||Proficiency||Mastery|
|Not Submitted||Failed to provide a general introduction||Gave a bit of introduction, but you need to provide more details or make other corrections as described by the feedback you are receiving.||Gave a good, basic introduction.||Gave a strong, in-depth introduction.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to discuss the ad’s main message.||No real discussion of the ad’s main message||Basic analysis of the ad’s main message||Good analysis of the ad’s main message.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to mention to impact of social media.||No real discussion of the impact of social media.||Basic analysis of the impact of social media.||Good analysis of impact of social media.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to discuss the success of the ad.||Minimal discussion of success, but needs more.||Some discussion of success.||Thorough discussion of success.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to discuss your opinion of the ad after viewing.||Minimal discussion of your opinion of the ad after viewing.||Some discussion of your opinion of the ad after viewing.||Thorough discussion of your opinion of the ad after viewing.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to discuss the business use of social media.||Minimal discussion of the business use of social media.||Some discussion of the business use of social media.||Thorough discussion of the business use of social media.|
|Not Submitted||Failed to give a conclusion||Gave a bit of conclusion, but you need to provide more details or make other corrections as described by the feedback you are receiving.||Gave a basic conclusion||Gave a thorough, insightful conclusion.|