competitionstrategic group mapindustry “ entry barriers ” assessment B u s i n e s s F i n a n c e
This interdisciplinary capstone core course focuses on how to create, identify and manage competitive advantage within an organization. Each student will be required to prepare a professional report that provides a detailed and thorough strategic analysis of a corporation chosen by the student. The term professional means that it is well written, well sourced and analytical.
The report will be graded on its effective use of strategic management concepts and The purpose of the assignment is to provide the student the opportunity to demonstrate an understanding of the process of strategy development and analysis, rather than complete a detailed task list for the assignment. The strategic plan analysis should be no more than thirty (30) pages.
COMPONENTS OF STRATEGIC PLAN ANALYSIS
The strategic plan analysis structure is outlined below and shall include the following:
- Executive Summarya. Industry – history/description;
b. Leading Companies in the Industry (2) – their history/background; strategicleadership, vision, mission;
c. Your Company – brief description, history, position in industry.
- External Environment Analysis
- General Environment – Trends/Factors of Technology, Demographic, Economic,Political/Legal, Socio-cultural and Global;
- Industry Environment – For example, Porter’ Five Force or a Strategic GroupMap;
- Competitor Environment – Future Objectives, Current Strategies, Assumptions,Capabilities.
- Include within the external environment analysis Driving Forces and Key SuccessFactors.
College of Online Education Johnson & Wales University
- Internal Environment Analysis
- The Organization’s Resources, Capabilities, Core Competencies, DistinctiveCompetencies (or Competitive Advantages: determine using the Four CriteriaTest), and Supply and Distribution Chains should be addressed.
- Financials – Key business financial strength statistics (e.g. liquidity); identify anysignificant trends (5 year; include competitor figures where relevant).
- Note: The concepts of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats should be addressed somewhere in the paper, but not necessarily as a SWOT chart.
- Strategic Analysis
- Identify and assess the current competitive strategy of the organization and theconditions that created that strategy (internal and/or external).
- Identify any changes in strategy that the organization has experienced (includingany changes in the scope of operations, vertical or horizontal expansion, and approach to the global economy).
- Final Report Analysis
- Key Result Areas (select and describe 8 key items from the SWOT to bestrategically addressed)
- Decision Criteria (evidence that supports the strategies, e.g. core competencies, pro forma)
- Balanced Scorecard
- Recommendations (You will also be asked to provide a 5 minute self-recordedvideo presentation of these recommendations)
a. Financial statements b. Visuals
ANALYSES TO CONSIDER WHILE PREPARING YOUR REPORT
Note: This is not a “to-do” list. These are areas and concepts discussed in the course that will have an impact on the business strategy. These concepts (if not these specific formats) should be addressed somewhere in your analysis.
- The Macro-Environment
- The Five Forces Model of Competition
- Strategic Group Map
- Industry “Entry Barriers” assessment (as they impact your business)
- Internal Analysis (tangible and intangible resources, capabilities, core competencies,distinctive competence, criteria test)
- Relevant Key Financial Ratios (Table 4.1)
- The Basic Value Chain
- Issues surrounding business ethics; identify areas of socially responsible behaviorIn ulearn under “Library Resources,” you can find helpful sites for public companies
- GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Paper should be no longer than 30 pages in length
- Ensure professional presentation with proper spelling, grammar, etc.
- Must have proper in-text citations and reference pageo Failure to provide this will result in a grade of zero
- Include page numbers
- Include a cover page or paper header