59 pm et ). please review H u m a n i t i e s
This assignment helps you articulate the roles and functions of music in world cultures through the study of several instruments, even as you explore the ways these instruments impact musical intercultural relationships.
Create a World Instrument Gallery by exploring musical instruments from music cultures we are studying this term, including at least one instrument from 3 out of the 5 musical classifications in the Hornbostel-Sachs classification. Describe each instrument in your own words, including a brief history, musical context for its use, which music culture(s) it is found in, also indicating if the instrument is traditionally played by women, men or both. Include an image (or link to an image) of each instrument and a link to an academically oriented website (not Wikipedia) where you learned about each instrument.
Visit the “Is My Source Credible?” page provided by the UMGC Library and the Research Guide for Music (including links to Open Access Music Journals) for assistance in locating reliable, credible sources.
To create your World Instrument Gallery, follow these steps for each of the 3 instruments:
* List the name of the instrument and the music culture(s) it is found in.
* Give a brief history of the instrument.
* Describe the musical context for the use of the instrument.
* Indicate if the instrument is traditionally played by women, men or both.
* Include an image (or link to an image) of the instrument.
* Provide a link to a scholarly website (not Wikipedia) where you learned about the instrument.
You will need to write at least 2-3 paragraphs about each instrument, in addition to providing an image of each instrument and a link to a scholarly website with more information on each instrument. Submit the World Instrument Gallery to the assignment folder by the end of Week 4 (Tuesday at 11:59 PM ET).
Please review the World Instrument Gallery Grading Rubric to learn how to earn the full 14 points.