5 paragraph format ). requirements4 page double spaced12 pt W r i t i n g
for this assignment, you are to analyze the elements that are an integral part of your new discourse community. This project serves as a way to explore it by looking into the characteristics of a discourse community as laid out by John Swales in his piece “The Concept of Discourse Community.” Swales argues that we need a set of descriptive characteristics for discourse communities. He comments, “…not all communities–as defined on other criteria–will be discourse communities” (469).
His “six defining characteristics” are as follows:
“A discourse community has a broadly agreed set of common public goals.”
- Research professional organizations, clubs, or even employers for people in your major or intended profession.
- “A discourse community has mechanisms of intercommunication among its ”
- “A discourse community uses its participatory mechanisms primarily to provide information and feedback.”
- “A discourse community utilizes and hence possesses one or more genres in the communicative furtherance of its
- “In addition to owning genres, a discourse community has acquired a specific lexis.”
- “A discourse community has a threshold level of members with a suitable degree of relevant content and discoursal expertise” (471-473)
Read: Swales, John. “The Concept of Discourse Community.” Writing About Writing: A College Reader.
i will atatch it bielow… Research professional organizations, clubs, or even employers for people in your major or intended profession.
Examine the ways people within those organizations communicate. Look for evidence of each of the characteristics Swales outlines in his text.Identify one group, who can be considered a true “discourse community” based on Swales’ Six Characteristics.Analyze your findings in a paper that illustrates how that “discourse community” fulfills the six characteristics Swales defines.
PURPOSE, AUDIENCE & GENRE
Your primary audience should be myself, remember that I am familiar with the Swales’ six characteristics in general, but I do not know them for each of your discourse communities so you should be explicit as possible. The genre in which you should present this writing assignment is an essay. An essay should include an introduction, body paragraphs supporting your focus, and a conclusion (Note: the genre of an essay does not require a 5 paragraph format).
- 4 page
- Double spaced
- 12 pt. Times New Roman font
- 1 inch margins
- MLA or APA
Requirements: .doc file | Essay | 4 pages, Double spaced