5 – 8 scholarly resources H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Health Care Policy
Policies guide structure and ensure organizational compliance. On a broader context, national and state health care policies exist to direct organizations and populations.
Select a national or state health care policy that is currently in effect. This policy will be used to complete your research paper in the final week of the course. In preparation for your final research paper, you will complete weekly tasks related to the policy that you have chosen.
Pre-approved research topics are available below. Choose from one of the following approved topics.
HIPAA was deployed in 1990 to protect patient privacy. The question posted may be: What affect did HIPAA legislation have on patient quality of care?
What affect did ERISA 1974 have on health plan options?
What was the effect of OBRA 1987 on skilled nursing facilities?
How has the EMTALA 1986 legislation affected hospitals?
How has the prospective payment system (PPS) affected the delivery of services in an acute care hospital?
How has the fee for service system affected the delivery of services in a clinic
Complete the following:
- Choose your national or state health care policy.
- Write a literature review or historical overview of 1,000–1,500 words about your selected policy.
- Develop an annotated bibliography with 5–8 scholarly resources (100–200 words).
- Elaborate on potential findings from the annotated bibliography (100–200 words).
- Each week, you will be presented with a different dissertation resource. The weekly dissertation resource does not need to be read in full. It should be used as a guide to keep you on track with your work.
Phase 1 dissertation resource:
- Kelly, C. B. (2011). Policy substance or simplified politics? How the healthcare reform public option was portrayed in newspaper editorials. ProQuest Dissertations and Theses, 72. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.