20 years old african american male H e a l t h M e d i c a l
Then, in your Practicum Journal, address the following:
- Using the Group Therapy Progress Note in this week’s Learning Resources, document the group session.
- Describe each client (without violating HIPAA regulations), and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
- Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for each client.
- Explain whether cognitive behavioral therapy would be effective with this group. Include expected outcomes based on this therapeutic approach.
- Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling each client.
- Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Select two clients you observed or counseled this week during a group therapy session. Note: The two clients you select must have attended the same group session.
The Client is a 20 years old African American male with a history of oppositional defiant disorder, anxiety disorder and substance use disorder. He uses Heroin and marijuana daily. He started using marijuana at 10 years old and heroin at 15 years old. The client did GED, he dropped out of school because of aggressive behavior. The client is in treatment because the court referred him, he is not willing to quit and does not believe in psychotherapy or medications. The client is not on any medication.
The client is 21 years old Latino American with a history of ADHD, anxiety disorder and substance use disorder. The client drug of choice is marijuana and cocaine, he uses 2 gm daily. The client is seeking treatment. He reported craving everyday for drugs. He assaulted a staff at his group home, they called the police and he was taken to Hennepin Healthcare and then referred to the rehabilitation center. Also, he indicated that his group home won’t accept him if he does not complete treatment and his mother won’t take him. He mentioned that he was influenced by his friends. He stated ” My plan to go back to school might be hindered by my drug use. I want to get things in order. He takes Atomoxetine and bupropion.